08 February 2012

Quick Recap

Quick Recap:
I ran intervals last Thursday, 2/2, at the gym. The little boys and little girl played very nicely while I pushed myself faster than I’ve been able to run before. I began by walking for a few minutes to warm up my muscles, and then I stretched a little bit to see if it would make a difference (usually I just start running). I think that it did.
I started jogging at 5 mph and built up to 8 mph — yes, I realize that 8 mph isn’t very fast, but it was for me. I ran for a minute (or 45 seconds when the speed was above 6.8), and rest for about 15-30 seconds in between. Speed increased by .2 each time I ran. It became hard, but it felt great that I could do it.
I found that my cadence didn’t change until I reached 7.4 mph. My foot strike count (that I mentioned in a previous post) only increased by 4-8 steps a minute from 7.4 – 8 mph. I’m not sure what that means exactly. How can I maintain the same amount of foot strikes at 5 and 7.2 mph? Runners, any ideas?
- – - – - – -
On Friday, 2/3, I missed my swimming date with my friend Amber (she’s training for Ironman Kentucky this August!) because she and I both chose to sleep in. It’s not easy to wake up at 5:20 am in the morning!!! Anyway, I went to the gym mid-morning and “swam” with two lovely older ladies who were much more graceful than I was. I was trying to swim Amber’s warm up that I was introduced to last week. This warm up kicks my butt. I also think that these lovely ladies who I was swimming with also kicked my butt ;) I am not ashamed, I will keep my Friday swim date and eventually I will get better. I only wish that I had started swimming sooner than this!
- – - – - – - -
I didn’t fit my 3 mile run in on Saturday, 2/4, but I did find out that I officially have lost 40.2 pounds since last May! I’m back in the healthy range for my BMI and I couldn’t be more happy. 4 more pounds to lose and I’ll be at my wedding weight. Then when I lose 10 more than that, and I’ll be a happy camper and “finished” losing, I think. I really have been working hard to get healthy and fit. It’s paying off, and I love how I feel!
- – - – - – - -
I did manage to fit my 3 mile run in on Sunday afternoon and I had company for this! Amber and I trained together for a while and it really was great to have a friend to talk to while running. It makes training go by so much faster, and it’s much more enjoyable. We even did a bit of spinning together afterwards. Woot!
All in all, it was a great training week :) I hope that this didn’t bore you all. completely.
Blessings! and Joy!
Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment