24 February 2012

Happy Donut Day!

This past Tuesday was a special day in our house.  We celebrated "Donut Day" -- many others celebrated this same day by a different name -- Fat Tuesday, Mardi Gras, Pancake Day, Shrove Tuesday. All of these are ways that the faithful can celebrate one last day before Lent, the season of penance and fasting which begins on Ash Wednesday.

How did we celebrate this, you might find yourself wondering?  Well, I hope that you are wondering because I'm going to share.  We made donuts for breakfast (and the rest of the day, I suppose)!  Yes!  The little boys were really excited about the idea of making donuts.  I found this recipe via Pintrest and figured that since it was so very simple, I could tackle it with the littles.   We skipped the "dip in butter step" as I thought that they were  bad  good enough as it was ;)


We made cinnamon sugar donuts and powdered sugar donuts.  Do you see the heart shaped centers?  The minis next on the right are baby hearts :)  

 yummy!



The little boys eating donuts and watching a movie. 



See, the problem with finding the yummy donut recipe was that it lead me to this ho ho cake recipe also in the same website, and I instantly felt compeled to  bake it as well.  I mean, it was for a special day.  Thanks goodness we had a Fat Tuesday party to go to! I took donuts and cake to the party/playdate and happily shared most of both sorts of sweets.



Aunt Terri and Michael, the cake is the stand-over-it-with-a-fork yummy kind of cake.  I guess that I shouldn't admit that in public, but oh my gosh, it was so good.


No. No, I did not run on this day.  I probably should have though ;)

Blessings! and Joy!
Nicole




No comments:

Post a Comment